Sunday, December 2, 2007

Work

I started on Tuesday and so now have 4 days under my belt. Since I am familiar with the organization, that makes it a lot easier than if I was starting from scratch. I know the lingo and general work; it's just a matter of learning some more specifics and how things are done here.

Tuesday morning, a driver picked me up for work, but when I went home for lunch, I successfully drove myself! That felt like a huge accomplishment - I not only remembered the route, but managed with a car I wasn't familiar with where I have to drive on the left side of the road. It takes me about 10 minutes or so from home to work which is a lot shorter than most of my colleagues. Road signs aren't always visible and the markings for speed bumps also are very sporadic. You also have to deal with avoiding potholes, pedestrians, hand pulled carts and the public transport buses that tend to drive like crazy.

I still have one more week with my predecessor learning the ropes. We have other courtesy visits to make to get me introduced to people I need to know and on Thursday, I am flying to Kampala, Uganda for the day for a meeting. Friday night we will have a leaving/welcome party for my predecessor and myself.

Then the following week one day is a public holiday and the rest of the week we will be in a retreat in Mombassa - on the coast, beach resort - very nice! Stephen and Lexi will come with me.

No comments: