Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New "column": Welcome to Africa

We’re inaugurating a new “column” or feature here on The Middle Bulge called “Welcome to Africa.” It’s the new iteration of my occasional “This is Switzerland” e-mails that gave a slice of life in that country. Here we will feature similar happenings, oddities or idiosyncrasies that make Africa or Kenya unique. The title is something I’ve said to Sarah several times since we moved here after she or I have complained about how things just aren’t the same here as they are in Europe or the U.S. – they just don’t run as smoothly or efficiently or they just don’t do things the same way (in a way that makes sense to us).

Today’s entry is a random thought but something that I just can’t get over. I stopped by the post office today to mail four letters. The man behind the counter, like the woman who was there the last trip I made to the post office, took my letters, determined the postage for each, and then tallied up the total on the calculator, which was 535 Kenyan shillings. I handed him a 1,000 shilling note, and he then proceeded to punch 1,000 into the calculator followed by 535 to figure out what change to give me. Why can’t the people at the post office make change and figure it out in their head?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi from Edmonds! Had some time to read through everything on your blog. You give me so much more detail than my little Seattle P-I; I get a dramatic sense of what's happening.
As far as the man behind the counter not being able to count out change, well, unfortunately that's not just a Kenya thing as there are many people in this country who can't do that either.
I do need to say "stay safe"; it makes me feel better. You, Sarah, and Lexi are always in my prayers. Big D