Thursday, January 17, 2008

Our neighborhood's claim to fame

The other day I discovered, while reading a magazine, our neighborhood’s claim to fame (besides being very close to the country’s largest slum, home to 1 million people): The headquarters of the Green Belt Movement Kenya, whose director, Wangari Maathai, you may recall, won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2004.

Their building is literally on the same street as our house, within a (long) stone’s throw of our place. Maybe some of that Nobel luster will rub off on us while we’re here!

In Geneva we lived fairly close to Sophia Loren, and she and I had the same coiffure (OK, I'll admit it - that's not true, nor did we ever run into her at the Saturday outdoor market near our houses). But I’ll keep my eyes out for Nobel Prize winners at our grocery store and inform you if I see any!

No comments: