Saturday, June 28, 2008

The House Help Sleeping Over

Since Stephen was away and I had to go to northern Kenya for work overnight, Jane, our house help/nanny, needed to stay overnight. It was a big deal trying to figure out where she was to sleep. She needed to stay in the house, but we only have the guest bed which is a double bed. She thought she should sleep in Lexi's room - there wasn't enough space for that mattress in there. We do have a servant's quarters out back - but no bed there. However, even though we have never told her not to, Jane always uses the toilet out there. She also uses the shower there on occassion too. So I think it was a bit wierd for her for me to insist that she sleep in the guest bedroom. I am not sure if she slept in the bed or not the first night when I was also here - I had to leave very early so she needed to stay over. When I came back, she told me that she had slept in Lexi's room that second night - on the floor, I guess. I didn't ask.

No comments: